An acronym for Self-selected Listener Opinion Poll (coined by Norman Bradburn). Can also stand for Self-selected Online Poll.
Whoever wants to participate.
- A poll found in a magazine asking readers to mail or phone in their responses
- An online poll in which anybody can participate
- Easy to recruit people to participate
- Results may have no resemblance to actual public opinion
- No deliberation is built into the process
- Offers a picture of raw opinion that is distorted and partial
- Similar to a shouting contest
- Sometimes policymakers deliberately use this type of public consultation to make the electorate look ignorant and rowdy